If you know a victim
- Listen carefully. Don’t judge or pressure the person to forget what happened.
- Be patient. Be aware that talking about what happened may not be easy to that person.
- Show clearly that you believe in what you are being told.
- Tell the person that what happened is not her/his fault.
- Reinforce how courageous that person is by sharing with you what happened.
- Encourage and make the person aware of how important it is to report the crime.
- Encourage the person to seek professional help. Tell them it is important to contact APAV.
- Respect that person’s feelings and decisions, even if you don’t agree with them.